the zoo

poster for the zoo 1991 © marina kanavaki

Technique: Charcoal on paper, paper cutout [bars & type]

[the blue and red versions were digitally processed]

When visiting the London Zoo for a college project, I was walking in front of a big cage trying to see what animal was behind the bars and I realised there was a big chimp trying to eat a banana with one hand and covering it’s face with a blanket with the other. Made me feel like a nosy idiot! It just clicked! I always hated caged animals but that image was what gave me the idea of having …us behind bars, as an anti-poster for the zoo!

SHOP The Zoo ART PRINT HERE

Comments
45 Responses to “the zoo”
  1. Nice to see how your art is not only about aesthetic but also is related to ideas and messages…we all need sometimes to be reminded of something important…
    robert

2. Just dropped in Marina to say Hi.. and I love this concept.. Yes I dislike caged animals also.. Wishing you a lovely Spring, I would image you are now busy with your music also.. Have a wonderful Day love Sue x

3. Great perspective, Marina. Empathy is nearly inexistent in the consumer world. If every human would reflect for a moment about the lives and purpose of non-human beings, much suffering could be avoided.

4. Gray Dawster says:

This concept is one that stands out from the crowd, it shows us that being caged is so wrong and gives us an idea of how the animal or bird, whatever creature behind the bars feels. It must be a terrible experience to be stared at on a daily basis without any means of escape 😦

Your artistry gives us the insight and does so incredibly well Marina 🙂 Well done…

Andro xx

• Oh, I’m so happy you found this insightful, Andro. I really hope one day we’ll start showing some respect to all beings and surroundings…
      Thank you very very much!!! 🙂

5. JK Bevill - Lost Creek Publishing says:

Reblogged this on lost creek publishing.

6. Terrific !!!!!!!!!
    And a sweet hug for you dear 🙂

7. Wonderful painting and message!

8. george-b says:

Indeed freedom is what the times afford us: I feel an undercurrent, an unconscious commons being the voice of reason and overcome the abuses of the past, abuse toward nature is abuse toward ourselves, within the the barred space we designed for others. A perfect portrayal of Art with a purpose, so vocal, so introspective and a true reminder of our role on Earth.

9. nonoymanga says:

Marina As fabulous as ever!!! Cheers Nonoy Manga

10. pennycoho says:

Your art is exquisite. Original and yet clearly defining your espressive personality, I will enjoy following you.

• Thank you Penny for your very kind words. …and I am already enjoying following you.

• pennycoho says:

Thank you, I see I misspelled expressive, but the words were sincerely mean. Hope your day is going well for you.

• You should see my typos! I constantly anagram words [I’m not sure that’s what it’s called… it’s when you type “form” instead of “from”. Very frustrating. I have to triple check my texts for those! My day is good and trying to make it better. Thank you. Have a beautiful day!

Amazing! Great work ,Marina.

12. onlinefunland says:

Its Nice – I want to reblog it !
    Would you allow me please ?
    regards

13. I was hoping you were about to say: “I was walking in front of a big cage trying to see what kind of animal was behind the bars” , when I saw my reflection in a mirror where the animal was supposed to be. The shirt I was wearing read “Evil”. I was in the cage. I was the animal in the cage…..:) Good show. I loved that the concept was so multidimentional. An animal in a cage needing only a blanket as a sanctuary, in order to survive, the horrible moment it was living. Placing a blanket of caring about the ape, over your sorrow, a note of indignation, frustration, and a passionate art is made.

• Thanks so much Benjamin. What a POETIC “comment”! If I weren’t as laconic [brief], I’d probably say that, you’re right, but words are not my “forte”! I’d much rather communicate with my art and if not that, “a jkhsdfgi uewdgzf ksiu a sdflkrrrjhu dfhsiulll trxcfkitsssidshjk mllrmtr” would be just great! One thing I’d like to add however is that after so many years of “”””evolution”””” [in many many “!] we -humans- have EARNED a place behind bars!

us behind bars, as an anti-poster for the zoo!
    thanks for this thought provoking change of perspective …

15. Katerina says:

Several years ago I was in London, and suddenly decided to visit the zoo. I too was disturbed to see cage animals. But this time I was surprixed and foulnd many of the cages gone. We, the anmimals and me, were separated by space, which .I was sure that the tigers could leap over, but he didn’t. I assume there are thing like invisble rays which the animals do’t like which act as guards.

Marina I’m exhausted,,,,,more another time. Love Katerina