DST, or losing an hour…

This is an homage to the lost hour…

marina's lost hour
Many of my friends are already aware of my views on this unfortunate shift of time to DST*

*Daylight Saving Time, or else a horrible way of depriving people an hour!

…and also my excuse for not being able to visit all my friends blogs!

A little reminder from back when the hour was returned: https://marinakanavaki.com/2013/10/21/daylight-saving-time-gone/

Be well and have a wonderful new week!
Comments
80 Responses to “DST, or losing an hour…”
  1. Love these Marina,
    ἀνάθεμα I think that is the Greek word (something dedicated to evil) anyway I fully agree, anything that deprives me of sleep is evil………!
    Fortunately here in Oman they see sense and don’t do it, so I sympathise .

David.

• You are right, it is used in the similar way as “damn…” Anathema was actually the excommunicating of a person by the church for blasphemy. As strong as it may be, yes it’s suitable! You are very lucky over there or you are simply governed by logical people!!! 🙂 Thank you for understanding! 🙂

2. doronart says:

Marina it is all based on I owe you… that is why they come back and change it again later on.. I also rather they pretend.. It confuse so many clocks here every 6 months.. 🙂

Such a sophisticated and smart design…imagine it on a tee shirt that everyone wore once a year on that day you ‘love’ so much. There would also of course be a shirt with the other design that all would wear on the day the ‘hour’ returned 😉

4. Nice design! I find every Spring and Fall I go through a week or two of insomnia just because of the hour change. It’s like the one hour difference triggers it. Keep up the good work!

5. Ralph says:

Hi Marina 😀 Wow. This is totally different to your usual style. I can see the draughtsman/woman in you. Well done !! BTW we lost an hour here in Spain as well. I will have to make up for it by adding an extra hour to my siesta in the afternoon. Happy Wednesday. Ralph xox ❤

• Ah, an afternoon siesta! Why didn’t I think of that?!! 🙂
      Thank you, my dear Ralph. I’m glad you enjoyed this little ‘messing about with time’ I had! 🙂

6. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    HEARD ON THE RADIO LAST NIGHT…A STUDY FOUND 2X THE RISK OF HEART DISEASE DURING DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME…CUTS IN HALF IN THE AUTUMN, GOING BACK TO REGULAR TIME (COAST-TO-COAST AM)

7. STRIKINGLY WELL-DONE!

8. Lord Ninni says:

As the last memory of the last time that assails us and overwhelms us in his being.
    We have a responsibility to convey everything that our heart has given us : Humanity.
    Dear Marina , the strength we have in the blood in the veins is measured by the water that any other person has put before us .
    Our “I ” should be ” Love.” Love and friendship always beyond the confines of the earth , the world and the universe.

Why choose you for this message ?
    Perhaps, dear marina , my life will not be another dawn .
    I choose you because you have chosen me and because your art , your watercolors fill the world . Take care of yourself and your smile : One day you can tell of a “distant” friend who spoke of ” peace”, ” love” and joy , tied in a picture or a painting.
    Your friends are mine.
    Your breath is mine.
    My message … is ” ours.”
    Please, in the name of God , to preserve it.
    An extra hour is worth more than an hour less .

With the greatest affection, esteem and friendship for you and your ” favorite ” players .
    Ninni , italian war journalist

fm North Korea, in a hidden location in the north- east of Pyongyang.
    I love you

• My dear Ninni, I sincerely hope you are safe. There will be many many dawns ahead for you, my kind friend. I am honored you chose me and very proud of being your friend.Keep spreading the love and please please stay safe. Again: please stay safe!
      Sending you my thoughts. With great respect, your friend, Marina.

I think your homage is brilliant Marina! And i share your annoyance, especially considering the tensions and close misses caused by it when we travel! 🙂

• Oh, you’re right, it must be quite a hustle for you!!! Maybe you should avoid traveling during those changes …but, what am I saying?!!! That wouldn’t be good for us!! 😉

10. viveka says:

For us it makes such a difference – and to others living up here in the North. The days gets so much longer and we need that.
    I’m all in favor. Is this your art work – BRILLIANT!!!!
    Marina, a fantastic week to you too.

• True, I know that in Northern countries daylight is needed more, however here in the Mediterranean, it’s different. I’m sure that if I lived there, my body would adjust much quicker to this. Yes, it is – it’s a clock I designed with one hour missing! Happy April, my dear! 🙂 xx

11. Wow this is great artwork – I love it so much! I don’t quite feel your angst against the dreaded time changes I confess but I did find it funny when Bangladesh decided to try it out a few years ago and then the Government forgot to put the clocks back! The whole thing was scrapped immediately after six months. It cause chaos – but was very funny!

• 😆 😆 poor people!!!!
      But no angst really, just annoyed by the shift. I don’t think it has something to offer. Anyway, I love making fun of this every year – it’s like a habit! 🙂
      Very happy you like it!
      Have a great week and April [don’t believe everything you hear today! ;-)]

12. nannus says:

It is discrimination against those of us who are natural late-sleepers (like me, for example).

13. Gorgeous image, Marina. 🙂

14. Paying tribute to that lost hour is a creative idea, Marina! You express it well here 🙂

15. I’ve never seen an homage to a lost hour caused by DST. I find this incredibly interesting…like a theatrical production.

16. Mary says:

Beautifully expressed Marina – tough to get going. Have a great week!

17. Time! something we spend so much Time talking about LOL… As we look at our Time pieces.. I mourned the loss of that Hour too Marina… So it was in my head really 4-30am not 5-30 am I got up on Sunday morning to go to work…. I slept really well though last night as my body clock caught up with the Missing Hour…
    I said to my Hubby, I wonder how is it the Birds know just when to Sing their Dawn Chorus… I wonder which little alarm clock wakes them? hehe.. …. Lovely time piece or art Marina… and hasnt the time from the last clock Day light saving come around so quick… Where on earth has the last 6 months gone?
    Wishing you too a wonderful week…. I hope Time slows down so that you can get all you wish done.. 🙂 Love and Blessings Sue xox

18. Let’s take a vote and select one of the times and KEEP it that way always.

don’t forget, dear Marina, to see things positive: they’ll give us that hour back again for the winter season. =? Μην ξεχνάτε, αγαπητέ Μαρίνα, να δούμε τα πράγματα θετικά: θα μας δώσει αυτή την ώρα και πάλι για τη χειμερινή περίοδο.

20. Arielle says:

Wow…. magnifique !!!!

21. I too mourn that lost hour. These are wonderful, Marina!

22. oh dear Marina – I thought only farmers were gainsayers. We call it BST – British summertime and that is why I love it – we gain light in the evenings -feels like the day just got bigger and better.p.s. bet you can paint a clock face set to standard time 😉

• 😆 What can I say, Laura – this shift is not for me! I enjoy the peace and quiet of the evenings and also I’m an early bird, so light at 9 in the evening doesn’t feel right. Anyway, I thought it was a nice opportunity to make something of it for a laugh! 🙂 Happy new week and April, my dear! 🙂
      ps I am thinking about it!!!!

23. makagutu says:

Have a wonderful week
    Nice painting

24. Dilip says:

Plenty good wishes coming you way dear Marina. And see you soon 🙂

25. sriramjanak says:

very nice Marina..have a great week..:-)

26. Designer says:

Marina, you have such a beautiful way of representing time! Happy Spring to you, my dear friend! ~xo

Interesting change a pace … or another way of saying it is interesting to see another side (in terms of style) of your work. 🙂 … and it takes the body several weeks to adjust to the change.

28. Resa says:

I’m dizzy from saving and losing! “lol” This is a fun post!

29. Very nice, Marina. It comes around again and again and the world keeps spinning.

Hope you have a wonderful week too!! Miss your colours!

31. jmsabbagh says:

Marina ,you have your mark in art in unique way.Cheers.jalal

32. Bongo says:

You’ll have to come visit us in Arizona. We must be one of the few places left that doesn’t go on Daylight Saving Time.

33. I agree. I seem never to recover that lost hour. I leave one of my clocks on the old time. Nostalgia for loss, I suppose. Wonderfully graphic illustrations!

• I like your idea of leaving one clock on the old time [which by the way is the RIGHT time!] Thank you, George. It’s comforting to know that other fellow humans feel the same! Here’s to ‘The Return of the Lost Hour’ in 6 months! 🙂

34. alexraphael says:

How wonderfully creative

35. Nuno says:

At least they will give it again in a few months… I hope!

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] D.S.T. or The Lost Hour […]

2. […] Not making sense? Well, when time switches to D.S.T. we lose one hour as the clocks move forward one hour. I’ve even done a tribute to that poor lost hour, see here. […]

3. […] Many of my friends are already familiar with my views on D.S.T. [for those who aren’t:  dst-or-losing-an-hour]. As if that wasn’t enough [!], I’ve been experiencing some technical issues. Therefore […]

4. […] can visit my homage to the lost hour back in March here […]